Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Real Food - Starting Out

Have you heard about "real food"? Or what about the slow food movement? I have been reading a lot of food blogs, websites and e-books about real food lately.

The so-called real food "movement" is a focus on moving away from processed foods and eating more "real" food - fresh, local fruits, vegetables, nuts, grain and meat. This movement focuses on the elimination of processed foods from our diet - and there is some pretty compelling scientific data on the deleterious effects of the preservatives and chemical additives in our standard American diet (SAD). I made most of AJ's baby food myself, so I guess I have been dabbling in the real food movement for a while.



These blogs and websites feature tons of recipes, product suggestions and other ideas on adding in more real food to a diet and eliminating more and more processed foods.

As many of you know, I have been using coupons for about a year or so now, and I have slowly come to realize that you can get crappy food - really cheap. Now, please know, I am not completely eliminating every bit of processed foods from our diet.

I think AJ might revolt if he could never have a Cheez-It again (did I mention that he LOVES those things?)!

Instead of tossing out tons of processed food, I am simply going to replace it with healthier alternatives, as we consume it (I just purchased some "real" mayonnaise and coconut oil and will start cooking with these next week). I plan on learning to make much of the food we want (i.e., yogurt, some cheese and yes, even butter!) and eliminate as much of the processed foods as possible. Honestly, we don't eat that much processed food. If removing some of the extra sugar from our diets, along with the chemicals that are in much of our food, has even a small, positive impact, then the extra time has been well spent.

I am going to post my successes and failures on this blog in the coming months, along with things I have learned and other changes made to our diet in hopes of eliminating some of the unnecessary chemicals from our diets.

I've signed us up for a CSA that should start the week of April 18, so I am beyond excited about receiving my first box of fresh fruit and vegetables. I am also hoping to learn to can this summer so we can have convenience foods - without much work on the back end. If you are American, your parents and grandparents probable canned some of their own food, why should our generation miss out?

Check back here to find out how things are going and if this is something you might want to try with your family.

In the meantime, here are some resources I have used in researching and making this change:



  • Real Food Challenge
  • 100 Days of Real Food
  • Poor Girl Eats Well
  • Food Renegade - This is my FAVORITE website!
  • The Slow Cook
  • Processed Living

  • There are tons of other blogs and websites you can find to read up on some of the simple changes you can make to your diet that can have a HUGE impact!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment