Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

Birds of a Feather


A while back, I noticed some pictures of some birds in a movie I was watching. I liked them and kept thinking about them, and finally decided to try and make some.



I went on over to Jerry's Artamrama (my first trip there and I LOVED it!!!) to pick up some canvases. I just got some of the cheap practice ones (2/$5.00) just in case I was not able to bring my vision to fruition. I also picked up some yellow and brown paint because I wanted to paint the canvases before adding the birds to them.


After mixing the paint, and getting it to the color I thought I wanted, I added some water to thin out the paint. I painted the four canvases, slightly different shades of the mixed color and added more water or more brown or yellow paint. I wanted a different shade for each canvas, so added water and yellow paint to lighten up the paint.

After applying the paint, I wiped it off with an old towel so just a small amount of the paint remained on the canvas.





As you can tell from the pictures, I went in different directions with the paint and pulling it off from the canvas to create unique canvases.

While these were drying, I set to cutting out my birds, using my handy dandy exacto knife and self-healing mat (OMG, I LOVE this thing).


I found the bird silhouettes online at www.fun-with-pictures.com. They have a ton of different birds, so check out the site if you are interested in doing something like this.

I blew up the original birds by about 123%. You can see the difference in the original and the blown up version here:


I am not the best cutter in the world, so I had a little white around my birds, so I used a permanent marker to fill the white spots in.


After cutting everything out, I put some mod podge (I used the matte mod podge) on the canvas and put the bird on top of it. Let that dry and then mod podge the entire canvas and bird. The mod podge hid the slight difference in color between the the printed bird and my permanent marker to fill in the white spots.


Repeat for each bird, let them dry and your birds are ready to put on display!



Click here to check out the Best of March DIY linky party this project is included in!

2 comments:

  1. Can you rub some of that talent off on me? Hope you guys are well. Lets try to find time in our busy worlds to get together for dinner!

    ReplyDelete