Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The most wonderful time of the year.....

No. It is not Christmas, although Christmas is a close second for me.

It is fall! As I mentioned yesterday, I love fall. I love pumpkin. I love apples. I love cinnamon. I think you get the picture.

I love pumpkin so much that I physically needed something pumpkin yesterday. So I made some pumpkin "cakies".



Actually, what I did was "freestyle" some pumpkin cakies. (And a cakie [term I am now using in every possible way] is a cookie that is more cake-like in the center because you didn't put enough of something in (maybe sugar), or you put too much of something in (in this case, perhaps it was the whole wheat flour) or you didn't let the fat come to room temp. But according to some of the information I have read on the web, pumpkin cookies are supposed to be cakier, so my cakies may be ok!)

What, do you ask, is freestyling? For me, freestyling is making something without a recipe, just throwing a little of this in, a lot of that, and so on. I tend to freestyle a lot when I cook. The whole measuring ingredients doesn't really work for me. It is strange, but I cook based on how things smell. I can remember how things smelled the last time I cooked them and this helps me determine if I am missing something and what that might be.

So, without further ado, here is a list of stuff that I put together last night to create Pumpkin Cakies. I can't call it a recipe because I don't have amounts for any of the ingredients.

Pumpkin Cakies

1 roll of pre-made sugar cookies dough
about 1/3 can of pureed pumpkin
brown sugar
pumpkin pie spice
cinnamon
whole wheat flour

As you can see, 



I just mixed the dough and all of the other ingredients together. I kept adding more of this and that based on the texture of the dough/batter and the smell (did it smell fall-y enough?). Here is the dough/batter before I popped the cakies into the oven:



I spooned the dough/batter on the cookie sheet, let them cook about 14 minutes per batch and cool about 5 minutes per batch before taking them off of the cookies sheet. 




I thought they were super yummy. The hubs (not nearly as much a fan of pumpkin and all things fall) said they were pretty good. 

What do you think of my cakies? Have you done any "freestyling" lately that you care to share???


No comments:

Post a Comment